Do you know why we celebrate Veterans Day?
Veterans Day is an official holiday of the United States of America and is the day in which commemorates Veterans or the people who have served in the United States Armed Forces. This holiday is celebrated annually on November 11 as a day of remembrance. Remembrance Day is the day that marked the end of the hostilities of World War I which occurred at the 11th hour, on the 11th day, of the 11th month. Therefore, the day is always recognized on November 11th, regardless of the day of the week or where it falls on the calendar. This is a great opportunity to explain to your children why we celebrate Veterans Day and to pick a celebration to honor those gone before us.
What’s the BEST WAY to honor a Veteran?
Here are a few ideas to make the most of your Veterans Day:
- Ask a Veteran about their time in the military and really listen to the answer.
- Hang a flag in your yard. Some neighborhoods put small flags by each mailbox.
- Ask an aging Veteran to share with you the song that takes them back, it shows you care and memories are created.
- Visit the gravesite of a Veteran (list provided below).
- Visit a homebound Veteran in their home, talk with them and thank them for their service!
- Visit a homeless Veteran under a bridge or on the street corner where they hang out.
- Take a Veteran out to dinner or bring dinner to a Veteran you know in your neighborhood.
- Tell someone about an experience you had serving a Veteran at the VA.
- Take flowers to a Veterans memorial.
- Write and send a letter to someone who’s currently serving in the military.
- Ask a neighbor about their deployment.
- Call a Veteran family member.
- Thank a Veteran co-worker for their service.
- Take a private moment to be proud of your country.
- Teach someone (a child, a friend, a neighbor) what it means to be a Veteran.
- Share pictures of a Veteran with someone. Did you know, the pubic schools this year in Broward County had you RSVP for a special lunch with your kid as a thank you?
- Learn about a current or past war/conflict. Say a silent prayer for those who are serving.
- Look up your ancestry and learn about someone in your family who was a Veteran. (Both are offering a sale for services)
- Hug your family and tell them that it’s thanks to Veterans that you get to!
- Observe a moment of silence with family and friends…
Below is a list of restaurants and a few stores that have discounts:
- PUBLIX – Veterans, active military personnel, and their families are invited to save 10% on groceries on Monday, November 11, 2019. This offer is valid for in-store purchases only. Excludes prescriptions, alcohol, tobacco, gift cards, lottery tickets, postage stamps, money services, Publix Delivery, Publix Curbside, or online payments. Please present one of the following at purchase: veteran ID card, military ID card, discharge document, or a driver’s license with veteran designation.
- Chili’s Grill & Bar – will offer a free meal from a select menu on Veterans Day, November 11, with proof of military service.
- Another Broken Egg Cafe – Veterans and active-duty service members can enjoy a free Patriot French Toast Combo and coffee on November 11.
- Applebee’s – Veterans and active-duty military receive a free meal from a limited menu, on November 11.
- BJ’s Restaurant and Brewhouse – On November 11, all current and former military members who dine-in receive a free entree up to $14.95 plus a free Dr. Pepper beverage.
- California Pizza Kitchen – Veterans and active-duty military receive a complimentary meal from a special menu on November 11.
- Cracker Barrel – Veterans get a complimentary slice of Double Chocolate Fudge Coca-Cola Cake or a Pumpkin Pie Latte on November 11.
- Denny’s – Veterans and military personnel get a free Build Your Own Grand Slam on November 11, from 5 a.m. to noon.
- Dunkin’ Donuts – On November 11, veterans and active-duty military receive a free donut at participating locations.
- Golden Corral – Golden Corral Restaurants’ Military Appreciation Night free dinner will be available on November 11, from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m. Military retirees, veterans, active-duty, National Guard and Reserves are all welcome.
- Little Caesars – Veterans and active military members receive a free $5 HOT-N-READY Lunch Comb from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on November 11.
- Menchie’s Frozen Yogurt – Veterans and active-duty military will receive their first six ounces free on November 11.
- Mission BBQ – Veterans and active-duty military get a free sandwich and cake on November 11.
- RA Sushi – Veterans, active and retired military can enjoy a complimentary shareable on November 11, available all day.
- Red Lobster – Veterans, active-duty military and reservists get a free appetizer or dessert from a select menu on November 11.
- Smoothie King – On November 11, veterans and active-duty military get a free 20 oz. smoothie.
- Texas de Brazil – Veterans receive 50% off dinner November 11 through 13 during dinner hours.
- Twin Peaks AND MORE– Veterans, active-duty military and reservists will eat for free from a select menu on November 11.
- Great Clips – On November 11, veterans and current military members can visit a Great Clips salon to receive either a free haircut or the free haircut card to use at a later date. Non-military customers can purchase a service on Veterans Day and get a free haircut card to give to a veteran you know. Haircuts are redeemable until Dec. 31.
- Kohl’s – Active and former military personnel, veterans and their families get a 30% off in-store discount on November 7 through 11.
Cities around Broward County Hosting Events:
Weston – Veterans Day Breakfast, 9 a.m., all Veterans and their families are invited to attend a special service with guest speakers, a hot breakfast and the opportunity to network. Weston YMCA Family Center, 20201 Saddle Club Road, Weston.
North Lauderdale – Wreath Laying Ceremony, 10 a.m., Presented by the City of North Lauderdale. North Lauderdale Veterans Memorial.
Lauderdale-by-the-Sea, Veterans Day Ceremony, 10 a.m., El Prado Park, 4500 El Mar Drive, Lauderdale-by-the-Sea. The town’s fifth annual Veterans Day ceremony will include the Broward Sheriff’s Office Honor Guard & Rifle Volley, as well as the Volunteer Fire Department’s Color Guard. The keynote speaker is Rear Admiral Larry D. Watkins, Director of the Network Engagement Team for the U.S. Southern Command in Miami-Dade County. Free and open to the public. 954-640-4200.
Coral Springs – Veterans Day Ceremony 2019, 10:30-11:30 a.m., bring your family, friends, and neighbors. Veterans Park, 8601 Royal Palm Blvd., Coral Springs.
Sunrise – Veterans Day Ceremony 10:30-11:30 a.m., Nov. 11. Distinguished speakers, three-round volley, motorcycle, and military displays, demonstrations by the Piper High School JROTC, refreshments, and the presentation of colors. Sunrise Civic Center Amphitheater, 10610 W. Oakland Park Blvd., Sunrise. 954-747-4600. Free.
Fort Lauderdale – Veterans Day Ceremony, 11 a.m., Presented by the American Legion Post 36 & Ladies Auxiliary. Sandy Ninninger Statue, West Las Olas Blvd. & New River, Fort Lauderdale. 954-326-0800.
Cooper City – 11 am Memorial Park 9000 SW 50th place cooper city.
Most American Legion’s and VFW Post will offer a free lunch call, your local chapter for more details, some are pot luck! All offer a place for Veterans to come together in the company of others and build community.
We hope you choose to attend a Veteran’s Day event and explain to your children how much Veterans mean to our history, to you and how much they should mean to them as well!
From the entire team of Fort Lauderdale Moms Blog
To all the Men & WOMEN who have served our Great Country
We S-A-L-U-T-E YOU!
Thank You for Your Service and Sacrifice…
Do you have a company that offers discounts for our Veterans? Would you like to be listed as a community partner providing resources? EMAIL US, we are happy to spotlight companies that are going above and beyond for our Veterans!